Animating

Once I had completed modeling the scene and skinning the characters I was ready to start the animation. Having no prior experience animating in 3D in any form I made sure completed many of the tutorials and watched some appropriate videos on youtube.

The first part of the animation involved the character running up to the chest of draws and climbing up. The initial sequence had the character running and hitting a ball which rolled away, then jumping over a (aesops fables) book then walking up to the draws. I created the run/jump/walk sequence in footstep mode then converted the keyframes to freeform animation so I could then animate the climb. Getting the climb to look natural was the difficult part whilst also trying not to have the limbs intersecting with the drawers. Because the next scene involved more walking I had to save the scene and copy it because if I converted the keyframes back to footsteps mode I would loose the climbing animation. When I opened my copy I deleted all the previous keyframes which allowed me to enter footsteps mode and proceed with similar steps for the next part of the animation. 



My character interacts with 4 different objects throughout the animation and I used different methods to achieve this. For the hat I set the start keyframe with it in the box and the end keyframe with it on the characters head. I then went through and set the keyframes in-between to make the hat appear in the hand. I was going to attach the hat to the hand by using a dummy but the animation looked convincing using the method I used so I decided to use the dummies later on. When the animation cuts to a close-up the character leans forward again into the box and the hat is still on his head. To do this I created a new file and attached the hat to the head using the select and link tool, I had to create a new file to do this because the hat is attached from the beginning of the scene which would have caused the prior animation to stop working. 

When animating the part with the heart & sewing needle I used dummies to make the objects move with the hand. I set the link constraint for the objects and added the links. Which connected the objects to the hands and allowed them to move together. 

*to be updated*

0 comments: